The UN human rights chief says that Israel may have committed war crimes in Lebanon

Preciosa Jimenez
4 Min Read

Beirut.- The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, Volker Türk, stated this Monday from Beirut that his office has recorded “large-scale violations” of international humanitarian law by Israel in Lebanon, some of which could constitute “war crimes”.

“Despite the initial announcement of a cessation of hostilities on April 17, followed by several rounds of negotiations to reduce tension and control the conflict, the Israeli Army continues to cause deaths and injuries in Lebanon through continuous airstrikes and ground operations,” the Austrian said at the conclusion of his two-day visit to Lebanon.

It concluded that its office has recorded “large-scale violations of international humanitarian law by the Israeli Army, some of which could constitute war crimes and, in certain circumstances, also crimes under international law.”

He recalled that since March 2, when the Lebanese Shiite group Hezbollah entered as an actor in favor of Iran in the war started by the United States and Israel two days earlier, more than 4,300 people have died and 12,200 have been injured in Lebanon.

We recommend reading:

And among the deceased are more than 135 healthcare workers, as well as numerous journalists and media professionals.

Türk, who has had access to the devastated south of Lebanon, where Israel still occupies large areas, stated that he had heard how “entire villages south of the Litani River have been razed or rendered uninhabitable due to Israeli attacks and continuous demolitions, which have destroyed homes, schools, health centers, water distribution networks, electrical infrastructure, places of worship, and agricultural land.”

Added to this is the fact that the mandate of the UN mission in Lebanon (UNIFIL) ends this year, which the humanitarian chief stated is something that worries him: “What implications will this have for the protection of the civilian population in the south? I hope that the protection of the civilian population is taken into account in any future configuration.”

So far, countries such as France or Italy have stated that they would support a mission in that area of the Mediterranean country following the withdrawal of the blue helmets.

An impartial evaluation mission

“Israeli forces continue to occupy a significant part of Lebanese territory in the south. I am concerned that the general conduct, which has led to mass displacement and the denial of returns, may constitute international crimes,” he said regarding Israel’s practices that have forced a million people to flee their homes, the vast majority from the south.

That is why Türk spoke in his appearance of an “impartial and independent assessment mission” already deployed since June, which is “gathering information and evidence on alleged violations and abuses of international human rights law and international humanitarian law committed by the parties to the conflict in the country since March 2.”

Their visit also addressed other aspects with the Lebanese Government related to human rights in addition to the conflict, such as “the need to continue making progress in the protection of the rights of marginalized groups, including refugees, migrants, LGBTIQ+ people, and persons with disabilities.”

But he also celebrated the bill to abolish the death penalty, which is based on the moratorium currently in force in the country, and encouraged its “prompt approval by Parliament.”

“This will make Lebanon the first country in the region to do so,” he stated.

Share This Article